- Do not water leaves of coleus at night, this may cause the leaves to rot.
- Coleus do not require a lot of fertilizer. The more fertilizer the less color the leaves tend to have. I use either worm compost tea (available at lots of extension offices) or manure tea (available through http://www.ahavenbrand.com )
- Keep soil moist, but not overly wet.
- Pinch back or trim plants to keep them from getting leggy.
- Pinch off blooms to encourage them to be more bushy. (Keeping the blooms on the plant will not hurt the plant, they just tend to grow taller and skinnier, rather than full and bushy).
|Bloom on hosta, which should be pinched off.|
|Pinching off the bloom, simply means removing the bloom.|
|Here are some flowers buds that should be pinched off.|
|Pinching off a flower bud.|